Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why I don't Use Facebook

People keep asking me when I will use Facebook.

Here's the long version of why I do not. Every time we choose to use a product we are choosing to support a design decision. Actually several design decisions, as engineers out there will know, since every project is a conglomeration of tradeoffs. The one major thing I cannot support in good conscience, is PHP.

Let me just give you a few quotes from the man who designed, maintains, and gave us PHP:

There are people who actually like programming. I don't understand why they like programming. -Rasmus Lerdorf

So as you can see, clearly, programmer happiness isn't something that Mr. Lerdorf cares about. So you can expect that since this isn't a priority, that coding in his language will be full of Pain and Suffering.

I don't know how to stop it, there was never any intent to write a programming language [...] I have absolutely no idea how to write a programming language, I just kept adding the next logical step on the way

I know how to stop it, Mr. Lerdorf. And it is called the Free Market. If everyone stops using a product written in PHP, then there will be no more engineers demanded who write PHP. Then there will be no more PHP.

And so that is why I will not use Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment